Saturday, April 9, 2011

goodbyes

Another season ends and another set of goodbyes ensues. The season, as all, flew by in the blink of an eye, but not without it's ups and downs, unforgettable memories, incredible experiences, and of course vino :) I'm leaving with a bit of a scowl, Spain has been hard on me. But not without an adios to all my chicas:


Meri

















"Meritxell...um, how do you even say that name?" Haha, it sounds like "mary-chell". Our oh-so-very helpfully bilingual setter, who left her heart in Barça. Meri has a larger than life personality, very outgoing and so so fun.


Ale
(middle)
















Ale..Ale...jandra!!! Venezuelan stud. She along with her older sister Eva (on the right in the photo) roomed with Marta the Cuban and were always so good to me. I partied for New Year's with these chicas and it was outrageously fun and then on my birthday they gave me a birthday dinner at their house. Love these girls and will never forget them.


Silvi
(right)























Aka Popeye, always making fun of Erika and I speaking English, but it made us laugh more than anything ("yes...yes Jenny..yes..ok"). Such a fun outgoing personality and always fun outgoing hair to match. Young in years, but very mature as a player and a person, big future ahead of this kid.


Chiqui


















Captain Maria Jose Chiqui Blas Soto! What a name hu? Captain and the veteran here in Haro



Rosa


















Rosa Mentiroso, middle blocker from Valladolid. Always the one Erika and I looked to when Xavi got to talking a little bit to fast for the foreigners. So fun to hang out with outside of volleyball and always working hard in the gym.


Marta



















Sanchez-Sanchez!!! Cubaaaaa, there are extra a's in Cuba cause that's how you have to say it when your talking about an Olympic gold medalist, who at 39 years old, can still bang with the best of them. And by bang, I mean a volleyball and a dance floor.


Ro























Rooooooooo-Jo (red in Spanish). My crippled partner at the end of the season, bummer. But such a fun personality and you would never know she's a hard core rocker.


Marta

Our little libero Martita. With such an attachment to the club, she has the heart of a lion in every practice, every match, every weight lifting session. Really an inspiration.


Erika


















Erikita, my roomy, my ace, my side kick, my friend. Everything that we went through this year made our relationship stronger. It's never easy to work and live with someone but we bitched to each other, celebrated with each other, and were each other's crutches all season long. Erika's such a kind soul and I'm genuinely glad to in the end call her my friend.



Undoubtibly the song of the season:



Adiós muchachas y buena suerte en el año que viene.

2 comments:

defining amy said...

hi pretty girl. i'm sorry that spain has been rough on you. are you heading back to vegas? if yes, i'll be there for the next week and would love to see you. based on the song of the season, have you ever thought of playing in puerto rico?? i know you'd love it. i'm probably moving to the dominican republic or puerto rico next year, and it would be so wonderful to be real life friends again. love you.

JT said...

Hi Amy!! I have to follow up on my injury with the doctor later this week, and if all is ok, I'm going to travel a little bit to see some friends around Europe and then I'll be heading home at the end of this month. I would looove to play in PR, but the season is short (just half of the Euor season) :/
That's so amazing you're moving, I know you have such a passion for traveling and teaching. How lucky are we to live out such big dreams? Glad to hear from you and am always following your life by blog! love you and miss you tons!!!