- will I ever be able to play again?
- do I want to continue to play professionally?
- how am I going to recover from this injury?
I read the book Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert last fall and something about her spiritual journey through meditation and yoga, changed me. I decided then that I was going to pursue yoga. After 12 pretty awesome vacation days I decided to join a Bikram Yoga studio with my step-mom.... 20 minutes in, I wanted to quit. Dizzy, lightheaded, and nauseous, were just a few of the things I was feeling and 90 minutes later when the class was over, I had an exhausted feeling that I've never felt before. Keep in mind that I am a professional athlete, in high school I ran in 115 degree heat outside on the black tar track, in college I ran in Texas summer humidity up and down the stadium stairs of Daryl K. Royal football stadium, in Istres, France I jogged+ sprinted+ weight lifted+ and volley'd in a pre-season I though I would for sure die in everyday. But still, none of this could prepare me for the mind blowing experience I had the first time in that room. It's 90 minutes of107-110 degrees of mind and body focus, nothing more. Here's are the 26 poses completed in the 90 minute class:
This weekend will end my first month of Bikram, 4 days a week and I think it's by far the most life changing $40 I ever spent. I feel different immediately after each class, sometimes incredible, some times completely spent, but one thing is always the same 30-45 minutes after the class is over I'm full of energy. The amount of sweat loss, in combination with muscle strengthening, stretching, balance and mind control prove overall to be an amazing workout. And needless to say a great was to regain strength back in my injured hamstring. I'd love to continue permitted, my travel schedule and my career allow. Much recommended!
No comments:
Post a Comment